How to Become a Teacher for K-6 Students
Pursuing higher learning is easy with today’s online options. If you are looking for quality education from an accredited college, you may simply be a click away from earning your degree.
The first step to getting your elementary education degree online is to decide what area of studies you wish to work toward and what your state requirements are for you to teach effectively. Some quick web research or a call to your State’s Department of Edu should give you the information you need about the graduation level needed to become an elementary school teacher (Grades K-6) in your state.
Next, you will want to decide if you plan to pursue a major with a specialty (concentration). Many distance learning programs allow the student to obtain a degree in elementary education with a specialty in such fields as reading, special education, and early childhood. It is important to keep in mind that you do not need to decide right away if you want to specialize. You can always return back to school and get a certificate in a specialty area if you decide later that you want to specialize.
Lastly, you will need to pick an accredited program from one of the many colleges available. Though most programs have the same types of requirements and course offerings, there are subtle differences you will want to look into. It is also important to consider any financial aid opportunities with these schools if that is a concern.
Advantages of pursing a distance college are that you can work toward being a post-graduate while keeping up with your job and family responsibilities. Though most academic programs will require residential student teaching requirements, you will be able to work through all your other coursework online before having to make career decisions and begin your student teaching.
Some of the most common degrees for those seeking a teaching career are as follows:-
Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education
Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education – English/Math/Science
Bachelor of Science in Elementary/Special Education (dual major)
There are many online courses available, making your selection process a bit easier. Some of the popular distance learning universities include Grand Canyon University, University of Phoenix, and Walden University. As a student looking for affordable tuition costs, you will have many schools from which to choose. After you have found your state requirements, you will be able to find a great online program that will push your career to the next level.
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.Ed. in Elementary Education (Leads to initial teacher licensure)
- M.Ed. in Elementary Education (Does not lead to initial teacher licensure)
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- And more...
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!