Question: What Can I Do With a Degree in English?
A better question may be- what can you NOT do with it? It is one of the best academic program which doesn’t get any recognition for it’s true power. Those that study English, the most spoken language on the planet, have a world of choices in career options open to them.
No Barriers to Skills Attained
English Degree is more than just having read the Classics, knowing good literature, and having a broad vocabulary. It is way beyond then being able to speak grammatically correct or write lengthy papers that analyze a 3-line poem! The curriculum is designed to develop student’s critical thinking, provides room for extensive analysis, and hones their ability to communicate effectively both verbally and through the written word.
Common Jobs Within Industry
Some of the most common jobs sought by English majors are copy-writing, teaching, journalism, and advertising. Other jobs that commonly employ those that hold such degrees are marketing, business, public relations, and the government. However, it is important to keep in mind that the program also gives individual skills that are transferable to almost any field.
Career Options: What Can you Do?
Students interested in this area of study have many online options available to them. Students can pursue a Bachelor of Arts with a focus in creative writing, language arts, English as a second language (ESL), or literature. A Master’s credential is also available allowing them to focus their studies on subjects such as Creative Writing- Fiction, Screenplays, Poetry, or a Master of Humanities. As is the case with almost any colleges, distance learning programs are available to allow students to pursue an accredited course on a flexible schedule from the comfortable of their own home.
Advantages of Distance Education
There are several benefits to earning a degree online. The primary reason is the flexibility. Enrolling in a distance education program allows the student to start the classes on their schedule, typically to take one or two classes at time, and to do the work around their schedule. This means that you can continue to work and manage your family while working toward your graduation.
The skills of reading, writing, and researching developed during this wonderful pursuit are invaluable. A degree in English allows you to pursue just about any career field that may interest you. Best of wishes to all who will be entering the realms of academics this year! Hope your college journey is full of cherished memories.
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.A. in English for Secondary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in English as a Second Language
- B.A. in Digital Design with an Emphasis in Web Design
- And more...
- Liberal Arts degrees include BAs in English, History, Applied Linguistics, and more.
- Coursework is designed to enhance students’ knowledge on a wide range of subjects, including history, culture, and art.
- Educators focus on developing their students’ critical, creative thinking, and communication skills.
- 100% online, flexible courses allow students to pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- MA/Education - English Language Learner
- BA/Applied Linguistics
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- BS in Liberal Studies
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning