How to Get a TESOL-ESL Certificate
Teaching ESL, English as a Second Language, or becoming a TESOL, Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages, is a fulfilling career and one that is steadily becoming more sought-after than in year before. As an area of study, it is fast becoming a popular choice for many educators.
As the demand for this field increases, more universities have improved the availability of attaining a TESOL certificate. There are several options available to those wishing to earn an ESL degree online.
Bachelor’s Degree with TESOL/ESL Certification
This is certainly a great way for a student to teach in schools that primarily have students that do not speak English as their primary language. While attaining this emphasis, a student should first get acquainted with a degree in education, showing their understanding and proficiency in general studies. In addition, they must be specializing in a subject and taking courses to give them proficiency in teaching English as a second language.
This type of curriculum requires a person to be in a classroom setting. Therefore, though a portion of the syllabus is available on the web, the student will eventually have to satisfy all teaching requirements in order to graduate.
The most common way to earn post-graduation is by current educators to attain master’s degree with a concentrate in either ESL or TESOL. They include a Master’s in Education (M.Ed.) for both and Masters of Education (M.Ed.) for K-12 or Bilingual Teacher K-12. Curriculum availability will depend upon the university of choice.
In the case of earning a post-graduate, since the student is already an educator, all coursework to complete graduation may be taken online, unlike bachelor’s where at least the instructing part will have to be done in the classroom setting. Distance learning programs in education are very desirable as they are easy to work around your current collegiate schedule.
Many distance learning universities have accredited programs with an emphasis or certification in ESL/TESOL available. If you are planning to pursue an online degree in ESL/TESOL programs, you will want to make sure that whatever you choose meets your state requirements. However, with so many to choose from, you are sure to find an online college that will meet all your academic and scheduling needs.
- Academically rigorous curriculum designed and delivered by USC Rossier faculty members.
- The same selective admissions standards as students in the on-campus programs.
- Live, online classes which allow students to network with classmates around the world in an intimate, collaborative environment.
- Hands-on fieldwork which students complete in their own communities, classrooms, or organizations.
- Dedicated student support from matriculation through graduation, including USC’s global alumni network.
- Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- Get your master's degree fully online: Advance your career through leading-edge skills and knowledge
- Bring real-world solutions from the classroom into your current job
- Complete coursework around your schedule – when and where it is most convenient for you
- Scholarships and other funding options may be available.
- M.Ed. in Literacy with Reading Specialist and ESL Emphasis
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction with ESL/ELL Emphasis
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction with Instructional Technology Leadership Emphasis
- And more...
- Advance to the next level of your academic career - earn your Master's in Education online with GCU.
- Earn a master's in educational administration, elementary education, autism spectrum disorders and more – Take your pick!
- Integrate philosophy with real-world knowledge to implement strategies that provide critical thinking.
- The dedication to your success extends beyond the classroom and into a professional educational setting.
- Incorporate modern pedagogy through a student-driven learning concept and technology.
- M.A. in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- M.A. in Gifted Education
- M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Adult Education and Training
If you got the passion to shape the next generation of America, this is a sure way to share your knowledge and help raise the confidence level of kids feeling a bit alienated because of foreign language barrier. The time is now to take a positive step towards solidifying your career objectives. Wish everyone the best for a great year ahead.