How to Get a TESOL-ESL Certificate
Teaching ESL, English as a Second Language, or becoming a TESOL, Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages, is a fulfilling career and one that is steadily becoming more sought-after than in year before. As an area of study, it is fast becoming a popular choice for many educators.
As the demand for this field increases, more universities have improved the availability of attaining a TESOL certificate. There are several options available to those wishing to earn an ESL degree online.
Bachelor’s Degree with TESOL/ESL Certification
This is certainly a great way for a student to teach in schools that primarily have students that do not speak English as their primary language. While attaining this emphasis, a student should first get acquainted with a degree in education, showing their understanding and proficiency in general studies. In addition, they must be specializing in a subject and taking courses to give them proficiency in teaching English as a second language.
This type of curriculum requires a person to be in a classroom setting. Therefore, though a portion of the syllabus is available on the web, the student will eventually have to satisfy all teaching requirements in order to graduate.
The most common way to earn post-graduation is by current educators to attain master’s degree with a concentrate in either ESL or TESOL. They include a Master’s in Education (M.Ed.) for both and Masters of Education (M.Ed.) for K-12 or Bilingual Teacher K-12. Curriculum availability will depend upon the university of choice.
In the case of earning a post-graduate, since the student is already an educator, all coursework to complete graduation may be taken online, unlike bachelor’s where at least the instructing part will have to be done in the classroom setting. Distance learning programs in education are very desirable as they are easy to work around your current collegiate schedule.
Many distance learning universities have accredited programs with an emphasis or certification in ESL/TESOL available. If you are planning to pursue an online degree in ESL/TESOL programs, you will want to make sure that whatever you choose meets your state requirements. However, with so many to choose from, you are sure to find an online college that will meet all your academic and scheduling needs.
- The Doctor of Education (EdD) program helps students hone research and scholarly writing skills in preparation for their doctoral study or dissertation.
- EdD students may choose from nine specializations, including Early Childhood Education, Special Education, Higher Education Leadership and Management, and more.
- Students in the EdD program may progress at their own pace by choosing between the Traditional and Fast Track options.
- M.S.Ed - Teaching English Language Learners(Grades K-12)
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.A. in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- M.A. in Gifted Education
- M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Adult Education and Training
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- ESL/TESOL - Masters
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Masters
- Higher Education - Masters
- And more...
If you got the passion to shape the next generation of America, this is a sure way to share your knowledge and help raise the confidence level of kids feeling a bit alienated because of foreign language barrier. The time is now to take a positive step towards solidifying your career objectives. Wish everyone the best for a great year ahead.