What Can You Do With a Degree in History?
A historical study is a very common liberal arts program that is pursued by many students each year. The study of our past (timeline) is a fascinating and desirable subject for many students. However, once you have chosen the course of majoring in this field, you may be wondering, what jobs can you get with a history degree?
Whether you choose to pursue an online program or in a traditional campus setting, you will find it both captivating and complex. Though many of them choose a particular historical era to focus their studies on, this is typically not necessary at the undergraduate level.
When thinking about what types of jobs are available to those with a degree in history, it is important to keep in mind the type of education you will receive as a graduate. The curriculum of this area of study focuses on research, analytical skills, critical thinking and extensive writing of papers. These skills that are developed, while pursuing a career in history, is something that a lot of companies look for in employees.
Career Perspective & Guideline
You might think that a historian is the most common career path for a student pursuing this field. If you did, then you are absolutely wrong. Though some of them do go on to become historians, they typically have earned a master’s or a doctoral and work in a non-profit or government job, though some do work for museums. There were only about 4,000 jobs for historians in the US, as stated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2010.
The more common careers for those involved in this field include government work, non-profit work, education and business. The emphasis on analytic and research abilities developed during studies will enhance your prospects to get hired by a top employer. Highlighting this talent will help most history majors land an occupation in an area that has a need for such skills.
- Liberal Arts degrees include BAs in English, History, Applied Linguistics, and more.
- Coursework is designed to enhance students’ knowledge on a wide range of subjects, including history, culture, and art.
- Educators focus on developing their students’ critical, creative thinking, and communication skills.
- 100% online, flexible courses allow students to pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Military Studies
- AA/Military Studies
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- BS in Liberal Studies
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.A. in History with an Emphasis in Public History
- B.A. in History for Secondary Education
- B.A. in History
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management - Environmental and Social Sustainability (Executive Format)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
Obtaining expertise in medieval times is a great focus for any liberal arts student. They are offered by many universities in both the campus and online environments. With today’s technology, distance learning education is easier than ever and are the most flexible for today’s busy professionals. There are several benefits to get enrolled into an accredited program that offers asynchronous courses for maximum convenience. You can make your own schedule to watch prerecorded lectures directly from your home with a laptop. Just login to your e-learning account & get all the assignments delivered right into your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
It has been said that you cannot plan the future without studying the past. This is one reason why such a degree can be a valuable tool in your pursuit for your next professional position in the corporate world. The types of jobs you can get with a history degree are numerous, given that you keep your mind open for diverse opportunities. It is important to know what you are interested in and then highlight the skills you obtained while pursuing your academic goals.